2018 Winter Outreach
According to the latest figures from 2017, an estimated 3,900 of our New York City neighbors are experiencing unsheltered homelessness. This represents a 40 percent increase from the previous year. In response, The Salvation Army, along with its partners in the Rescue Alliance, is coordinating Don’t Walk By, an annual street outreach event to homeless New Yorkers each February, now in its tenth year. Don’t Walk By is a project of the Rescue Alliance, a coalition of faith-based organizations including The Salvation Army, The Bowery Mission, New York City Rescue Mission, New York City Relief, Hope for New York, and Goodwill Rescue Mission, all engaged in addressing homelessness and housing fragility.
Each Saturday in February, in one of four sections of Manhattan per Saturday (Uptown, Eastside, Westside, and Downtown), volunteer teams walk the streets and subways of an assigned area engaging with homeless neighbors they may encounter, distributing small items such as hygiene kits and clean socks, and extending an invitation to dinner at an anchor church.
At the anchor church, guests are provided a dignified sit-down dinner with tablecloths, centerpieces, printed menus, and servers. Every guest is then invited to spend the evening housed in a Rescue Alliance member/partner shelter. Our hope is that accepting this offer will lead to longer-term case management, the end goal being life-transformation that includes dignity, stable housing, independence, and where needed, sobriety.
In addition to a meal and invitation to shelter, other services provided at the anchor church include:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefit sign-up
- Distribution of backpacks, winter coats, SafeLink cell phones, and other items
- Legal advice
- Medical services including HIV testing, optometry w/ free glasses, podiatry, and blood pressure checks
- Referrals to detox, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, and mental health services
You can be part of this outreach, taking time to serve and love our neighbors on the streets this winter, by signing up today.
Click on the dates below to sign up:
- Feb 3 – Downtown Outreach at NY Chinese Alliance Church
- Feb 10 – Westside Outreach at Calvary Baptist Church
- Feb 17 – Eastside Outreach at Fifth Ave Presbyterian Church
- Feb 24 – Uptown Outreach at Salvation Army Harlem Temple Corps
Be sure to check the Don’t Walk By website for more details here.
We would love for you to join us as we engage, love and serve our homeless neighbors in New York City.